Windows Update tool was moved to Settings app from Control Panel in Windows 10 and lots of useful options such as optional updates were removed.
The optional update section used to offer hardware drivers updates and updates for softwares such as MS office.
The optional update section helped the users to save time without having to manually search for updates, this way it helped windows users to keep up their PC up to date.
Although Microsoft has removed optional updates, there is an alternative free and nifty app called Windows Update MiniTool which lets you download and install hidden and missed Windows updates.
This tool provides more control over the updates, you can search for missed updates, block updates, install and uninstall updates.
Download this free tool from Major Geeks: http://bit.ly/WUMini [2.32 MB]
This app doesn’t need any installation, its portable. Simply extract the zip file, you will notice 64-bit and 32-bit versions, run the version depending on your system architecture.
The interface of the app is simple and straightforward, just hover the mouse on the icon to know its role.
You can either click ‘Download only’ or straight away install the updates by clicking ‘Install updates’ button.
If an update causes any problem, you can install that update and block it from future updates.
- Check for updates
- Download updates
- Install Updates
- Delete installed updates
- Hide unwanted updates
- Get direct links to the *.cab / *.Exe / *.Psf update files
- View update history
- Configure Automatic Updates
- This tool is like the external PowerShell module PSWindowsUpdate, but much more advanced and user-friendly features
- The tool relies on and uses the Windows built-in update (WU) infrastructure, all downloading are through WU — it’s not a downloader
- Works on the OS starting from Windows XP to Windows 10.