At MIX11 developer event, Microsoft released a public Beta version of Silverlight 5 and is now available to download. Sliverlight 5 brings over 40 new features, among them notable features are support for 64-bit operating systems, 3D graphics support, improved text clarity and out-of-browser functionality.
Microsoft introduced XNA-based interface for delivering 3D visualizations within applications. The graphics are GPU accelerated and there is a facility “immediate mode” that lets you work directly with the GPU.Also On Tuesday, Nvidia announced a new Silverlight-based plug-in that will allow 3D video streaming on websites.
It also has new support for remote controls, multicolumn flowing text, PostScript printing, a better XAML parser and reduced network latency.Silverlight 5 included hardware Video Decode, for enhanced video quality and performance, and “Trickplay,” to provide variable-rate video playback with audio pitch correction.
Those who don’t know about Microsoft silverlight, Silverlight is a free browser plug-in powered by .NET Framework developed by Mcirosoft which is compatible with all modern browsers. Sliverlight offers video, apps, tools and games in much the same way that Adobe Flash does.
Silverlight 5 key Features :
- Hardware Video Decode, for enhanced video quality and performance.
- “Trickplay,” provides variable-rate video playback with audio pitch correction.
- 64 bit OS support.
- 3D graphics support.
- Improved text clarity and out-of-browser functionality.
- Low-latency sound effects and WAV support
- Real operating system windows and multi-display support
- Significant performance improvements, fixes and much more