One thing I like about Ubuntu apart from it being a free operating-system is it’s popular Ubuntu ShipIt service which allows users to order free Ubuntu CDs,though the shipments are actually made once the final version is released.
Of course, this service aims to spread ubuntu among as many people as possible,CDs will be shipped to your doorstep free of charge but if you have got a fast Internet connection it is recommended to download the ISO image directly and burn it to CD. The next ubuntu stable version i.e Ubuntu 9.04 is going to be released on 23rd April 2009.If you want to order your free CDS, use the link below .
On the other hand, just one week of the final release of Jaunty Jackalope, it also launched RC(Release Candidate). this will be the last milestone in the development of the system to have the final version, scheduled for launch on April 23.
New features in ubuntu 9.04 as follows
- Linux kernel version 2.6.28
- A new notification system
- Faster boot times
- GNOME 2.26 desktop environment
- Community desktop themes and brand new artwork
- Evolutionary EXT4 filesystem
Support for many new devices (wireless, webcams, mobile phones, etc.
Link : Ubuntu Ship-It
Download : Ubuntu 9.04 Release Candidate
The new Release Candidate of Jaunty can be downloaded, but remember that this not final version and therefore it is not advisable to install in environments that require stability.
Update (23-04-09) : currently Ubuntu ShipIt CD ordering system is offline.
Now you can download Ubuntu 9.04 via BitTorrent. In order to download Visit the Ubuntu download site(click here).
Upgrade Ubuntu 8.10
If you want to upgrade Ubuntu 8.10:
- Press ALT-F2
- Type “update-manager” (without the quotes), now you will see available updates. Remember to download the version 8.10 patch before applying the update.
- Once installation is done, you will see a message new version of Ubuntu 9.04 is available for download