Microsoft released a free security tool called Microsoft Standalone System Sweeper, a recovery tool that can help you start an infected PC and perform an offline scan to identify and remove rootkits and other advanced malware.
Nowadays Microsoft is keen in releasing free security tools,it already released Microsoft Security Essentials one of the best in Free antivirus category and recently Microsoft released which will be used to detect malicious software left out by other antivirus softwares.
Now the Standalone System Sweeper is different from Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE). Unlike MSE it is not a replacement for a full antivirus solution providing ongoing protection. This software boots from a CD and thus can work even if your PC has malware or viruses that would normally block AV software from working correctly.
Microsoft Standalone System Sweeper can be used in following situations :
- when you cannot start your PC due to a virus or other malware infection
- When you are unable to install or start antivirus in your Computer
Requirements of Microsoft Standalone System Sweeper :
- Internet connection: Required for installation and download of the latest virus and spyware definitions for Standalone System Sweeper.
- Internet Browser: Windows Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher or Mozilla Firefox 2.0 or higher.
- Operating system:Windows XP Service Pack 3; Windows Vista (RTM, Service Pack 1, or Service Pack 2, or higher); Windows 7 (RTM, Service Pack 1, or higher)
- A blank CD/DVD or USB drive with at least 250 MB free space.
Download Microsoft Standalone System Sweeper :
Standalone System Sweeper is currently in beta, and is available for download for 32-bit and 64-bit version of windows system.