Kaspersky Antivirus Free Version for Windows is a slimmed down version of paid Kaspersky Antivirus and offers protection to your computer against malicious programs.
Kaspersky Free version has essentials system protection features such as the file, email and web antivirus; automatic updates, self-defense; quarantine; and so on.
This free version of Kaspersky Ant-virus ensures convenient and safe web surfing, working with USB sticks and other portable storage media, and protection against both phishing and infected files being run. In short, the indispensable basics that no one on the planet should do without.
Kaspersky Free is also lighter on system resources and quicker than KIS, KAV and Kaspersky Total Security. It’s based on the same technologies that paid Kaspersky security products run on, which are always top in independent testing.
Though Kaspersky Antivirus Free Version provides bare basics, it still packs a punch. Kaspersky Free doesn’t come out with all the usual nonsense like advertising-oriented user-habit tracking and confidentiality infringements – which free AV normally suffers badly from to make it financially worthwhile to its manufacturers.
Kaspersky Free is designed to protect your computer against malicious programs. Each type of threat is handled by a corresponding application component. Enable and disable components independently to configure the application.
Kaspersky Antivirus Free comprises:
- File Anti-Virus, which protects the computer file system.
- Mail Anti-Virus, which checks inbound and outbound email for viruses and other malicious programs.
- Web Anti-Virus, which intercepts and blocks scripts on websites should they pose a threat to your computer. With Web Anti-Virus enabled, all traffic is controlled and dangerous websites are blocked automatically.
- IM Anti-Virus, which maintains security while using instant messaging applications.
- Anti-Phishing, which checks whether web-addresses are on the list of phishing websites.
- On-Screen Keyboard, which prevents malefactors from intercepting information that the user enters with a standard external keyboard.
What’s new in Kaspersky Free 2019 [v19]:
- It is now possible to scan scripts using Antimalware Scan Interface (AMSI). AMSI is a standard Microsoft interface that allows scanning scripts and other objects. The component can only detect a threat and notify about it, but it does not handle threats. The component is available in Microsoft Windows 10 or later.
- Scanning of encrypted connections has been improved. You can now choose actions for sites that returned scan errors and add such sites to exclusions.
- It is now possible to disable decryption of Extended Validation (EV) certificates.
- The Tools window has been improved. Application features are now categorized to help you find specific features faster.
- The display of notifications has been improved. Notifications that are not critical for application performance are not displayed while the user is in full-screen mode.
- The Recommended settings window has been improved. The “Delete possibly infected objects” checkbox and the “Detect other software that can be used by criminals to damage your computer or personal data” checkbox have been added.
Download Kaspersky Antivirus Free 2019 [v19] online installer: kaspersky.com/english/kfa126.96.36.1998en.exe [2.4 MB]
My Personal view:
Tried Kaspersky Free AV on my HP laptop running on Windows 10 OS, this one is a low-end AMD laptop so usually, I install light-weight Antivirus on this system.
The Kaspersky Free online installer downloads 150 MB setup file and you should be patient while downloading the setup file as the download speed from the Kaspersky server is slow.
Once the download is finished and when you launch the program for the first time it will ask you to create or sign in to Kaspersky account, you can ignore this by hitting the back button.
The interface of this Security software is simple and same as Kaspersky paid products, on the main windows you can see the paid functions (Safe Money, Privacy protection, Parental control) marked with a crown icon.
Also, this free Antivirus installs Kaspersky Secure connection (powered by Hotspot Shield), Which is like a VPN with no control on server location. Kaspersky Secure connection lets you surf the internet privately and safely. This will hide your location, transfer your data through protected channel avoiding stranger’s hands.
Finally, I think Kaspersky Free Antivirus is useful for home users who need basic protection and it’s better when compared to Windows defender and other Free AV’s in the market.