Oracle today released Java 7, After nearly five years of collaboration within the worldwide Java community, Java Platform Standard Edition 7 (Java SE 7) is now available for download for Linux , solaris and windows platforms.
Also this is the first release of the Java platform under Oracle after it acquired Sun Micro systems in Apr 21, 2009.
After 9,494 bug fixes, 1,966 enhancements, 9,018 changesets, 147 builds, and four JSRs, JDK 7 (Java development Kit) is finally out for developers.
The Java SE 7 release is the result of nearly five years of industry-wide development involving open review, weekly builds and extensive collaboration between Oracle engineers and members of the worldwide Java community via the OpenJDK project. Over the past year the OpenJDK community has continued to grow, including the addition of major vendors such as IBM and Apple. In June Oracle announced that the Java SE 7 Reference Implementation will be based entirely on the OpenJDK open source code.
“We’re very excited about Java SE 7; this is a great release with strong technology updates. I’m pleased that the Java community has come together in favor of technical progress and that we have a clear path forward for Java SE 8,” said Hasan Rizvi, senior vice president Oracle Fusion Middleware and Java Products. “Oracle has a strong vested interest in the success of the Java platform and is firmly committed to delivering a consistent, high-performance, high-quality Java SE implementation and will be supporting the Java SE 7 release across the Oracle Fusion Middleware product portfolio.”
Java SE 7 Key Features or Highlights:
- Language changes to help increase developer productivity and simplify common programming tasks by reducing the amount of code needed, clarifying syntax and making code easier to read.
- A new multicore-ready API that enables developers to more easily decompose problems into tasks that can then be executed in parallel across arbitrary numbers of processor cores.
- A comprehensive I/O interface for working with file systems that can access a wider array of file attributes and offer more information when errors occur.
- New networking and security features.
- Expanded support for internationalization, including Unicode 6.0 support
- Updated versions of numerous libraries
- Strong backward compatibility of Java SE 7 with previous versions of the platform preserves the skill sets of current Java software developers and protects Java technology investments.
Java Facts and Figures
- 97% of enterprise desktops run Java
- 1 billion Java downloads each year
- 9 million developers worldwide
- 1 programming language (TIOBE Programming Community Index)
- More than 3 billion devices are powered by Java technology
If you want to run Java programs you need Java Runtime Environment (JRE) and if you want to develop Java programs you need to install Java Development Kit, or JDK.
If you want to know more about JDK 7 or what’ new JAVA 7, check out Java 7 Celebration Webcast Replay, You can download both Java SE Runtime Environment 7 and JDK 7 from below links.