After announcement of fail0verflow by a hacker group at an international hacker conference, “GeoHot” the famous iPhone hacker released PlayStation 3 root key online.
The release of root key enables homebrew developers to create and sign their own apps, which means it provides hackers full access to PS3. The complete console is compromised, there is no way back and he only way to fix this is to issue new hardware.
Now “GeoHot” released custom firmware which allows to run homebrew on 3.55, this custom firmware works with Gehot’s upcoming tools: make_self_npdrm and package_finalize.
According to GeoHot this custom firmware must be installed from 3.55 official firmware and to remind you this does not enable piracy or backups, it provides you to run our own homebrew. Many more updates to come from Gehot, so be patient .
Here is what Gehot say’s:
it’s jailbreak time
open the zip, you know how to install
would be pirates, don’t waste your time
do not mirror file, link to geohot.com
here is the package from the video
no donations accepted right now, don’t get scammed
old homebrew will not work
new homebrew signing tools coming soon…
Download Gehot Custom Firmware: http://geohot.com/jailbreak.zip
Download 3.55 Homebrew PKG: http://www.geohot.com/test.pkg
Check out below Gehot video Jailbroken PS3 3.55 with Homebrew
Note: Although I have PS3 I didn’t install this custom firmware, waiting for the tools to be released from Gehot and another developer KaKaRoTo. So from my end I don’t know whether this firmware is working or not, so install it at your own risk.
P.S: Sony Confirmed PS3 Root Key Hack and said that they will fix the issues through network updates.
Update : Now several Homebrew apps are released and I give a shot with Gehot CFW which is working very well. Those who are looking to run PS3 games on gehot’s cfw, several signed packages for 3.55 CFW are already available on the web, just Google them and also use Gia Manager to run backups.
How to jailbreak PS3 with gehot 3.55 CFW?
- First update PS3 to official firmware 3.55
- Now in your USB storage device, create Folder ‘PS3′ and in that create another Folder ‘UPDATE‘
- Download gehot CFW and place the .PUP file in that ‘UPDATE’ folder on your USB drive
- Now plug the USB drive into your PS3, switch on PS3
- Now got to ‘Settings—> System Update–>Update via Storage Media’ and you will see the update version as Version 3.55-jb
- Now click ‘Ok’, accept the (funny)conditions and install the update.
- After installing the update, you will hear 4 beeps and your PS3 will be switched off
- Now turn on your PS3 and you will notice your PS3 is jailbroken, the indication is you will notice ‘install packages’ option under Games section
How to install custom packages or Homebrew apps on CFW ?
- Download the CFW compatible package file (for example SNES9x PS3 emulator) and just copy it to USB storage device
- Plug the USB on your PS3,switch on PS3 under ‘Game’ section click on ‘install Package Files’ and select your package file
- That’s it!
Comments are closed.