Google introduced another new feature called “preview pane” to Gmail, this new feature allows Gmail users to view emails in a side panel, just like view mails from Gmail on a tablet device like iPad.
In short the new feature “preview pane” allows users to quickly scan messages without opening them, this saves our time as we have to go back to the inbox every time we want to read a new message.
“When I check my email, I often rely on the message snippets to figure out which messages to open first,” says Gmail Associate Product Manager Maciek Nowakowski. “Sometimes, though, I want to see more than snippets, which is why I’m happy to announce that you can now preview messages in your inbox using a new feature in Gmail Labs called Preview Pane.”
How to enable Preview Pane feature in Gmail ?
AS this is an optional feature added to Gmail labs,so you need to manually enable the feature in the labs section, just follow below simple steps.
- First login to your Gmail account, then click ‘wheel’ icon at the top right corner of the navigation bar and choose “Mail Settings.”
- Now click “Labs” tab, then in Search Box type “Preview Pane” and enable the new feature.
- After you enable, you’ll see a toggle button in the top right corner of your message list, which lets you switch between preview and list views.
- For users who have more vertical space you can also move the preview pane below your message list. You can enable this using the dropdown arrow next to the toggle button
- By default there is a 3-second delay in marking a conversation as read after previewing it. If that doesn’t feel natural to you, you can change the timing in the General tab of settings