Mozilla released the beta version of Firefox 5 under rapid release development cycle and is available for download for Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X platforms. It seems Firefox is following Google chrome by releasing new versions more rapidly but with less differences compared to the previous versions.
For Now Mozilla development cycle includes 3 main versions of Firefox :
1. Stable version for normal web-surfing.
2. Beta Channel : new features under testing.
3. Aurora channel : Introduces new features.
Also there is a nightly channel which shows the latest Firefox build that are released in the last 24 hours, but these are most likely un-stable.
According to Mozilla, After five weeks of testing on the Firefox Aurora channel, Firefox 5 is pushed in to beta stage. Among improvements, the main improvements include support for CSS animations and the new Firefox channel switcher that allows users to switch between Firefox Aurora, Beta and Release channels to test features at various levels of development.
What’s New in Firefox 5 Beta ?
The latest version of Firefox Beta has the following changes:
- Added support for CSS animations
- Added support for switching Firefox development channels
- Do-Not-Track header preference has been moved to increase discoverability
- Improved standards support for HTML5, XHR, MathML, SMIL, and canvas
- Improved spell checking for some locales
- Improved desktop environment integration for Linux users
Download Firefox 5 Beta :
Firefox 5 is scheduled for a final release on June 21 and Firefox 6 is currently moved to Aurora channel
Note :After installing the beta, you must reboot your PC to work with Firefox.