Airtel launched a mobile payment service called ‘Airtel Money‘, India’s first mobile wallet service by a telecom operator. Airtel money is now launched in the millennium city of Gurgaon and sooner it will be launched across several other key cities in India in a phased manner – thereby presenting another compelling reason for mobile customers in India to join the country’s largest network – airtel.
What is Airtel Money ?
Airtel money offers customers an efficient alternative to cash transactions, it allows its customers across the country with a convenient and secure way of making payments through the ubiquitous mobile platform.
Where can you use airtel money?
- Load cash: Load cash on your airtel mobile by visiting your nearest airtel retail outlet.
- Pay bills & recharge: You will be able to use this cash in your mobile for making bill payments (electricity, gas, financial services, etc.) and recharge
- Shop & make payments: Instead of cash, pay over-the-counter merchants such as your nearest kirana store, chemist, etc using your mobile phone. You can even sit at home and pay for services like booking movie tickets online
Announcing the launch of the service, Mr. Atul Bindal, President – Mobile Services, Bharti airtel said, “The mobile phone is fast emerging as a device that enables our lives in more than many ways. Taking this a step further, we are proud to launch airtel money as a first-of-its-kind service from a telecom operator, that transforms the mobile phone into a secure and convenient wallet which customers can use to load money and use it for shopping and making payments. We see a huge potential for mCommerce services in India and are confident that the launch of airtel money will facilitate a paradigm shift in the way consumers transact”.
How to Use/Activate airtel money ?
- Visit an Airtel outlet and Register by filling in the application form and submitting KYC documents (2 photocopies of proof-of-identity, 1 copy of proof-of-address and a passport size photograph).
- After the above, your existing Airtel SIM will be upgraded to the new 64K airtel SIM with airtel money.
- Activate your Airtel money account by choosing your MPIN.
- Load cash into your Airtel money account by visiting your nearest airtel retailer
- You are now ready to send commands through the Airtel money application on your phone and transact anytime, anywhere!
Airtel will charge a month subscription fee of Rs. 5/month and charges Rs. 5/payment.
In 2010, Bharti airtel was granted the license to use the Semi Closed Wallet by the Reserve Bank of India and now in 2011 it launched ‘Airtel Money’ service in Gurgaon, airtel has already established partnerships with several merchants (including coffee shops, restaurants etc) to accept payments via airtel money – which will gradually be scaled up to over 3,000 merchants across the city.
airtel money will subsequently be launched in Delhi NCR and several other key cities in India. Customers will also be able to avail airtel money exclusive discounts and attractive offers that will be offered at various merchant outlets in the market – and save money as they shop!
To know more about airtel money, Airtel customers can dial 12121 (toll-free) from their airtel mobile phones and get started. For more information, non-airtel mobile customers can dial 8800012121.