Adobe released Adobe Reader X or Adobe reader 10.0, a sandboxed version that was intended to keep a full-stop to the criticism that Adobe is getting in security perspective from the security community.
Now Adobe Reader X (10.0) is released with a new feature called Protected Mode, a sandboxing technologyy which is enabled by default in the software that prevents malicious attacks.
Although Adobe Reader X is available for both OS X and Windows platforms, but the Protected mode is implemented only on Windows platform. This doesn’t mean Mac users shouldn’t consider updating to the latest release, because the new version brings other new features & fixes.
What is Protected Mode ?
- Protected Mode in Adobe reader is a sandboxing technology based on Microsoft’s Practical Windows Sandboxing technique. It is similar to the Google Chrome sandbox and Microsoft Office 2010 Protected Viewing Mode.
With Adobe Reader Protected Mode enabled (it will be by default), all PDF file operations will run in a very restricted manner inside a confined environment, the “sandbox”.
This first release of ‘Protected Mode’ will Sandbox all “write” calls on Windows systems. This will mitigate the risk of exploits seeking to install malware on the user’s computer or otherwise change the computer’s file system or registry.
Adobe plans to extend the sandbox by including read-only activities to protect against attackers seeking to read sensitive information on the user’s computer.
Adobe Reader X Features:
- View and interact PDF files with that contain even wider variety of content types, including drawings, email messages, spreadsheets,videos and other multimedia elements
- Make note and share with others by making PDF documents using the sticky notes and highlighter tools.
- Choose reading mode to fit more content on the screen or two-up mode to view page spreads. Use keyboard shortcuts like print, zoom, and find with tin the browser.
- Take advantage of added security of protected mode in reader, which helps ensure safer viewing of PDF files.
- Directly access online services at acrobat.com from with in Reader X. perform common tasks such as creating PDF files, securely sharing and storing document, and screen-sharing.
- Expand PDF access via mobile devices with free Adobe Reader for Android Windows Phone 7 and BlackBerry Tablet OS.
Download Adobe Reader X:
Adobe Reader X is now available for Windows, Mac and Linux platforms. Download Reader X online installer at http://get.adobe.com/reader/