TrueCrypt 6.3 has been released on OCT 22 and the most important feature of this version is, it adds full support for Windows 7 and Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard. If you are in Windows 7 and looking for a program to protect your important data, then you must consider TrueCrypt a Free open-source disk encryption software for Windows 7/Vista/XP, Mac OS X, and Linux
What is TrueCrypt ?
TrueCrypt is an easy, convenient, highly reliable way for Windows and Linux users to encrypt their data on-the-fly.Its operation is pretty basic, it can encrypt an entire existing hard disk partition, or it can create a “TrueCrypt Container” folder within a partition, where that file gets treated as a second, virtual partition.
If you are beginner you can check this tutorial here http://www.truecrypt.org/docs/?s=tutorial
- Creates a virtual encrypted disk within a file and mounts it as a real disk.
- Encrypts an entire partition or storage device such as USB flash drive or hard drive.
- Encrypts a partition or drive where Windows is installed (pre-boot authentication).
- Encryption is automatic, real-time (on-the-fly) and transparent.
- Parallelization and pipelining allow data to be read and written as fast as if the drive was not encrypted.
- Provides plausible deniability, in case an adversary forces you to reveal the password:Hidden volume (steganography) and hidden operating system.
- Encryption algorithms: AES-256, Serpent, and Twofish. Mode of operation: XTS.
Download Link: http://www.truecrypt.org/downloads