Many times for people involved in working with pc’s (computer’s) it is very useful to have a CD with applications necessary to make a computer list. TheOpenDisc is a DVD(.iso image ) containing a high quality collection of open source software (OSS) for the Microsoft Windows operating system providing free alternatives to costly software, with equal or often better quality equivalents
OpenDisc project gathers some of the best free & open source software out there into one easily downloadable CD/DVD image. They also list the programs in the cD /DVD image with description and link to the individual software home page if you’d like to get them .
The recent released OpenDisc 08.10 has new versions of both OpenDisc and OpenEducationDisc available for download.
Perhaps there is no need of all those programs but it can serve you a lot.
Here are the list of programs that are included in the OpenDis project categorized by its function:
- Azureus is a powerful BitTorrent protocol client. It comes bundled with many invaluable features for both beginners and advanced users, such as multiple torrent support, speed limiting, fast resuming and more.
- FileZilla is a fast and reliable FTP client and server with lots of useful features and an intuitive interface.
- The Firefox web browser empowers you to browse web pages faster, more safely, and more efficiently.
- HTTrack is an easy-to-use offline web browser utility. It allows you to download a web site from the Internet to a local directory on your computer, building a perfect mirror for your personal use.
- Pigdin is an Internet Messenging (chat) client that enables you to chat with others in real time using any supported network, including AOL Instant Messenger, MSN Messenger, Yahoo!, IRC and Jabber.
- RSSOwl lets you gather, organize, update, and store information from any website that has an “RSS feed” in a simple, easy to use interface.
- SeaMonkey is an all-in-one internet suite which uses the same engine as Firefox and Thunderbird, and also includes a newsgroup client, an internet relay chat (or IRC) client, and a flexible HTML editor.
- Thunderbird is a modern email client with features such as intelligent spam filters, a built-in spell checker, a range of themes and customisable layout.
- TightVNC is a remote control software that lets you see the desktop of a remote machine and control it with your local mouse and keyboard, just like you would do it sitting in the front of that computer.
- WinSCP is a fully featured SFTP (Secure File Transfer Protocol) client.
- Audacity is a sound editing program which can record, playback, and mix sounds or apply effects using a variety of filters.
- Celestia is a simulation of the entire universe, based on currently known astronomical information. It includes beautifully rendered planets, moons, and some smaller orbital bodies such as Mir and the International Space Station.
- Although monitors are no longer vulnerable to the burn-in problems that existed in the early days of personal computers, we humans still love them. the Really Slick Screensavers are a collection of impressive savers to prevent permanent monitor burn-in on your computer screen.
- Stellarium is a planetarium for your computer. It shows a realistic sky in 3D, just like what you see with the naked eye, binoculars or a telescope.
- Sumatra PDF is a flexible and lightweight PDF reader, with a minimalistic design that allows fast browsing and even faster loading times.
- The VLC media player supports numerous audio and video file-types out of the box, so you don’t have to download individual software to play most media files.
- nuCash is personal and small-business financial-accounting software, which allows you to track bank accounts, stocks, income and expenses.
- MoinMoinWiki is a tool that allows many users to collaborate on generating and organising content. A wiki is usually hosted on the web so that different people can connect through their web browsers to collaborate.
- Notepad2 is intended to be a replacement for the Notepad program that is included as part of Windows.
- OpenOffice.org is a full-featured productivity suite including a word processor, spreadsheet, web page editor and presentation program.
- Use PDFCreator to generate PDF documents directly from any Windows program. PDF (Portable Document Format) files are the de-facto standard in electronic publishing, because the author can be sure that the document will look as intended on all platforms, regardless of local fonts or lack thereof.
- 7-Zip is a program for creating or unpacking archived and compressed files in an enormous variety of formats.
- Abakt is a flexible backup tool for Windows that protects your valuable data.
- Clamwin is a powerful anti-virus program with features high detection rates for viruses and spyware, a scanning scheduler, and automatic downloads of the regularly updated virus database.
- GTK+ is a multi-platform toolkit for creating graphical user interfaces.
- HealthMonitor is a powerful and feature filled monitoring tool. It works in the background as a Windows Service, monitoring system performance (CPU load average, free memory, disk space, etc).
- TrueCrypt is powerful encryption software for your personal data. It works by creating creating a virtual hard drive within a file and mounts it, so your computer treats it as a real hard drive.
- Workrave is a program that assists in the recovery and prevention of Repetitive Strain Injury (RSI). The program frequently alerts you to take micro-pauses, rest breaks and restricts the total time you work to a daily limit, and is fully customisable to each user’s need.
- The Battle for Wesnoth is a turn-based strategy game with a fantasy theme. It offers several extensive campaigns, and you can play as Humans, Elves, Dwarves, Orcs or Undead.
- Enigma is a puzzle game inspired by Oxyd on the Atari ST and Rock’n’Roll on the Amiga.
- Neverball is a maddeningly fun game where you tilt the floor to roll a ball through an obstacle course before time runs out.
- Sokoban YASC (Yet Another Sokoban Clone) is a maddeningly simple game first conceived by Hiroyuki Imabayashi, a Japanese programmer.
- Blender is an advanced 3D graphics modeling program capable of producing high quality animations, performing rendering, post-production, interactive creation and playback.
- Dia can be used to draw a variety of diagrams to suit your needs, such as entity-relationship models, UML diagrams, flowcharts, network diagrams, and simple circuits.
- The GIMP (or GNU Image Manipulation Program) is suitable for those wanting to manipulate digital photographs, design and export graphics for the web, convert images from one file format to another, or even produce complex high-resolution compositions for print.
- Inkscape is an easy to use vector graphics editor that uses the Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) file format.
- Nvu is a fully featured What-You-See-Is-What-You-Get (WYSIWYG) web page editor, enabling you to create compelling web pages without having to devote months to learning HTML.
- Scribus is a professional desktop publishing application, with a combination of “press-ready” output and new approaches to page layout.
- Tux Paint is a free drawing program designed for young children (aged three and up).