Firefox 3.1 Beta 1 has been released for developer testing and community feedback. The new version includes many new features as well as improvements to performance, web compatibility, and speed. Firefox 3.1 Beta 1 is now available for free download.Another beta is expected later this year with the final browser code shipping in early 2009.
Here’s a list of the top new features you’ll see in Firefox 3.1 Beta 1.
Key New Features:
- Improvements to the Gecko layout engine
- Added support for CSS 2.1 and CSS 3 properties
- A new tab-switching shortcut that shows previews of the tab you’re switching to
- Improved control over the Smart Location Bar (aka the “Awesome Bar”) using special characters to restrict your search
- Support for new page elements for embedding Ogg Theora video and Ogg Vorbis audio content — show videos and play songs on web pages without requiring plug-ins
- Firefox’s first implementation of the W3C Geolocation API
installed Firfox 3.1 beta 1 when it was just released. It works well and no serious problem so far. I don’t feel any noticeable speed improvement. The tab switch preview is nice but I don’t really need that feature. I read my tab by its page title.
I installed Firfox 3.1 beta 1 when it was just released. It works well and no serious problem so far. I feel some noticeable speed improvement. The tab switch preview is nice but I don’t really need that feature. I read my tab by its page title.
Download Firefox 3.1 beta 1